To Fossil Falls - A Heather's Tale (or Fossil Falls pt. 1)


When we were first married, nearly five years ago, Brian told me about Fossil Falls. It's an old lava flow out in the middle of the desert where you can see lava formations in all their glory. I, being the rock-o-phile that I am, have wanted to go there ever since.

We had the kids on Monday, due to a kind trade with their mom (although with much trepidation on the mom's part because the kids had coughs). By 8:30am, we were on the road!

Mack always looks like this in pictures. I don't know what she THINKS she looks like, but I don't think she knows she looks like this. Kiff just looks like Kiff. He has NO idea that he's going to be in the car for nearly five hours... Bwa ha ha ha ha (and Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo to me). He doesn't look this serene later.

Here's the road on the way out of Bakersfield. Lots of farmland right before the canyon. You can see that V-shaped notch on the right? That's the canyon!

It's not really this green, but I can't help color-boosting my pictures. It makes it look so fairy-talish... Hobbity, too!


Rocks. And grass. Cows. And fence poles.



This is right before we enter the canyon
See the rocks? Crumbling little by little...



Because it was morning, there wasn't a lot of light where we were driving. You get pictures of rocks for this part. The better views were in the afternoon, on the way home!



After the canyon, we started getting into desert-y areas. I love the way Joshua trees look - so other-worldly! Brian suggested that we stop because we didn't HAVE to be anywhere at a particular time. It's funny how I don't think about that... When we got out here at the side of the road, I immediately found bones (jawbones of something with TEETH) and a beautiful piece of white/clear crystal. I tried to take a picture of it, but the only thing in focus was my thumb. Not remotely interesting.

It's pathetic to you, maybe, but this was the "snow" we were so excited to come upon. As I said "Three!" to take the picture, they all threw their snowballs at me!

Pringles make the trip shorter... (I love the dill pickle flavored ones...)

And here's a big rock. Just in the middle of the scrub. Weird.

Color faded as we got into the desert. It probably didn't help that I had the white balance off on the camera, but oh well...

This was the first blob of black lava rock we saw. Burned rocks. In the desert. So there.


And, lo! What should before our color-starved eyes should appear, but a cinder cone of red, coming ever near (er)!

More huge chunks of burned, blackened rocks.

And then Cinder Cone mountain. (hill). It's redder than this picture. It's REDDDDDDDDD!

Next post: Fossil Falls proper!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Folded Books - by Heather Hajek Eddy

How to Fold Wedding Hearts