Creepy!



This is actually the fifth attempt at making this book for a friend of mine. The first time I tried making it with an 1850-ish copy of Harper's Bazaar that was all moldy and crackling. No good. The paper wouldn't fold well enough. The second try was a smaller book. I couldn't get the words to look right. Third try: a Frank Slaughter book (with apropos titles like "A Night to Murder" and "Death at Midnight") with italic letters THAT YOU COULD NOT READ AFTER I'D FOLDED the book because the letters were too intermingled. Then I tried stenciling it onto a simple patterned book with ink. The ink, instead of being blood red was strawberry pink. Not creepy in the sense that I wanted. And it looked very stenciled - not at all folded bookish. The fourth try was another stencil - this one actually was much nice because it was on a "press forward" patterned book. The paper for that was not so compactly together that you could read the word when looking at it from the front. You could only see it when you looked at it from an angle. Still, it wasn't a folded book!!!!

So, fifth time's a charm. Yay. And I used a copy of "The Complete Kama Sutra" that I'd had laying around the house for a couple of years. I knew it was perfect when I picked it up the other day and perused its contents. Um... creepy. And I knew the friend's grown-up sons would get a kick out of the book and try to unfold it when she wasn't watching. Which they promptly did. Suckers! Creepy!!!

Comments

Nancy said…
Loving it! Do I see a sneak peek of your next tutorial (lower case alpahabet)?
Jo Murray said…
That's amazing? I can't imagine how much 'fiddling' would be required to get that right.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Folded Books - by Heather Hajek Eddy

How to Fold Wedding Hearts