Walking in a Wadi

A couple of years ago, my family and I went to the outskirts of Bakersfield to play in the foothills. It was covered with flowers and I thought I would go out today to see what flowers there were now. After all, it is Spring.

I forgot one important thing needed for flowers. Rain. Yup. It's a desert/drought right now. Not wanting to waste the opportunity of exploring, I went around with Kenneth seeing what there was to see in the dead grasses.


There are trails all over the foothills made by made by mad 4-wheelers. (Brian and I went out here ourselves in his truck before we were married. To look at the stars. And hold hands. :)  And SMOOCH WITHOUT ANYONE BUGGING US!)


Kiff had brought along an old magnetic chore chart I had. It was a "map" and he kept showing me where we were. 



A little ways downhill, we noticed a hole. It wasn't a hole, but an access point into the dried-out riverbed. Wadi is the biblical term for this and I'm excited to have the opportunity to use it here. Oh yeah. So we walked down it for a while until I worried enough about my car being on the side of the road all by its lonesome to get out of the riverbed and head back up the hill to our stuff and then down the other side to our car. 


One of the things I love about this area of California is the geology here. The rocks are amazing. Look at the varieties we have just right here. Weird. I wish I knew what the orange translucent-y looking one on the right was... It's like fossilized toffee.

I did find a couple of beautiful globe-shaped rocks that I want to crochet upon. We'll see...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Folded Books - by Heather Hajek Eddy

How to Fold Wedding Hearts