Sketching Books


On Wednesday, Brian was home with me and was able to watch Kiff while I went to the library and fulfilled a dream I've had for at least the last five years.I doubt if I'm the only one that looks at other artists and wonders how they come up with ideas that are so original, simple and beautiful that they can create several works with the same idea, yet every one different- a series. While thinking about other artists' work, I thought about what the different parts of the series had in common - color, shape, motif, etc. I wondered what series there might be within me. After a lot of thinking I decided to ask myself what things I love. Here's a short list:

  • books
  • words
  • squares
  • hearts
  • stories
  • trees
  • houses
  • red
  • glitter
One day while walking through the stacks looking for something, it occurred to me that the shelves of books were quite lovely to me - their regular patterns were serene and calming. I loved how they looked with all their different widths and heights. I drew a couple of sketches and then got distracted the hubbub of life.

I kept seeing those sketches in my sketchbook and thinking "I need to pursue this idea." I finally decided to go to this past week. I had time off work and a key to the basement where all the old volumes are stored on shelves in the dim light. I took the camera and shot more than 200 pictures of books on shelves. I took pictures of neat an orderly volumes, books leaning a little, books leaning a lot. I took pictures of books turned on their fore edges to fit on the shelves and books stacked at the ends of the rows by a patron. I took pictures of carts of books and stacks of ledgers and old newspapers.

Then I got the idea to draw the pictures in an old book. It has straight lines and words, both of which work with my list of favorite things.


Here's my first attempt. My color selection is horrible, but I like my composition. I might try putting something more concrete behind the books like stars or a horizon of some kind. Anyway, this is it for now. Tomorrow it's back to work.

Comments

Heather, I love this! And I'm a jewel-tone kinda gal, so I think the colors are gorgeous, too. Beautiful!
Chyfey said…
I agree with Stephanie I love the colours.To me books are vibrant exciting individuals,not dull colourless,lifeless objects.
Thought the something more concrete behind the books ,would it help tell the story within the books or the books life?

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Folded Books - by Heather Hajek Eddy

How to Fold Wedding Hearts